Web Soil Survey (WSS) is the survey carried out by the US Department of Agriculture to provide soil data and the analysis. United States of Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) provide vast information about soil-related data.
NRCS has 95% soil data available from all over the world and efforts are carried out to make it 100%.
What is Web Soil:
It applies the principles of soil science and also from geomorphology, theories of soil formation, physical geography, and land use patterns.
Primary data for soil survey is done by field sampling and by remote sensing. Remote sensing uses the principle of aerial photography where field sampling is manually done.
Today latest technology based tablet used consist of digital aerial photos, LiDAR, topography, soil geodatabases, mapping keys and also many more gadgets are coming into the market.
Information about Soil Conservation Service (SCS):
SCS also called as Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) that provides technical help to farmers and private landowners and managers.
The mission of Soil Conservation Service is to improve, protect, and conserve natural resources on private lands.
What is a soil survey and its uses?
Soil survey or also known as soil mapping is the process of categorizing the soil types. It also provides information related to other soil properties in a given area and Geo-encoding the information. The information in a soil survey can be used by the scientific community.
The Web Soil Survey is used to predict or estimate the potentials and limitations of soils. This information is used for many specific purposes. A soil survey also includes an important part of the information that is used to make workable plans for land management.
Soil conservation service Programs:
- Environmental Quality Incentives Program: Aim of this program provides support to landowners to help them improve their soil, water including grazing lands, wetlands.
- Conservation Stewardship Program: The aim is to take care of an organization that maintains a higher level of environmental landscape.
- Regional Conservation Partnership Program: Its aim is to increase the regional or watershed scale projects.
- Agricultural Conservation Easement Program: the program is mainly focused on the subprograms like Grasslands Reserve Program, Farm, and Ranch Lands Protection Program. They give financial as well as technical help for environmental benefits.
- Healthy Forests Reserve Program: This program works on a contract basis 10-30 years of aim to improve biodiversity and decrease carbon emission.
Benefits of web soil Survey:
The information in a soil survey can be used by farmers and ranchers to help find that a particular soil type is suitable for crops or domestic animals and what type of soil management might be required.
Engineers can take information regarding the construction and the data of the ground and the soil.
A homeowner can use the information for maintaining or constructing their garden, yard, or home.
Read More: Walmart survey
Web Soil Survey provides soil data and reports performed by the National Cooperative Soil Survey. It is operated by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and provides access to the largest natural resource data in the world.